I'm trying to keep my business, my triplets, and my waistline under control. I excel at one of those, fail at another one of those, and one is a work in progress. Which is which is day dependant.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Sooo Worth It

You know when there is something crappy in your life, which you hate doing/seeing/eating - but you do it anyway, because something/someone/a feeling makes it SOOOOO worth it? Take, for example, going to the gym. You hate it, but the cute guy (eg eye candy) on the treadmill next to you makes it sooo worth it. Or going to work, if you don't like your job. It's boring and it sucks, but the cake they provide for afternoon tea totally rocks, making it soooo worth it. Or throwing up when you're sick. It's smelly, gross, and totally unpleasant, but how good you feel afterwards makes it soooo worth it. You get my drift. I've noticed lately that a lot of people (myself included) use that expression, saying that something is "soooo worth it." I wonder, though - does this mean that things in their lives suck so bad they have to find only ONE thing about everything they do? Is it just a way of making themselves feel better? Exactly how MUCH are we willing to suffer for something in order to get the reward which makes the suffering 'worth it'? Presumably that's different for everyone, right? What is soooo worth it to me, might not be worth anything at all to you. Another man's trash, etc etc. At some point do we decide that there is nothing left which is 'worth it' and so we don't do that thing anymore? Are there people whose tolerance for the 'barely good enough' will last a lifetime, and so they never change? I think those people are the ones who need the courage to move on, stop doing that thing, stop whatever that thing is which no longer has a soooo worth it to hold onto. I think what I'm getting at is, when something/someone/a situation no longer has even the smallest glimmer of a sooo worth it left, it's time to move onwards. I'm getting that way about a certain issue in my life, and so this idea, of something being worth it or else it's not worth doing, is on my mind. Perhaps the bravest part is deciding that something ELSE has a 'soooo worth it' attached - it's just that making the leap from HERE to THERE is hard.

Tell me something about your life which kinda sucks but has a reward which makes it soooo worth it...or a time when you decided to take a leap. Go on, share.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That one is easy for me...having to live in a country where I don't speak the language, home alone most of the time with 2 kids under the age of 2...why is it sooo worth it?

Because it was coming here, or Dh going to Iraq...yeah I'll take this anyday