I'm trying to keep my business, my triplets, and my waistline under control. I excel at one of those, fail at another one of those, and one is a work in progress. Which is which is day dependant.

Monday, October 16, 2006

The Big Picture

At work recently a very clever person commented that I am a "big picture person." Even though I've never thought of myself in those terms, since she said that I am hyper aware of how MUCH of a "Big Picture Person" I am. I think this goes back to that whole 'needing to know what comes next' part of my personality. Not only do I like to know what is coming, but I also like to know the bigger reason why I'm doing something in the first place. If you think about it, this all fits in. My list making, my goal-oriented self, my continual planning, my thinking ahead (and nearly never looking back)...all of these are traits of someone who likes to look at the whole, rather than focus on the parts. It also, unfortunately, makes me pretty impatient...so determined am I to reach my goal that I might step on people/painful Lego bricks along the way, and hardly even notice. In a work situation, people who are 'small picture' oriented can find me very annoying. I just CAN'T blindly follow an instruction without first knowing where that task or activity fits into the whole plan. So I ask a LOT of questions, and I can often be found saying, "Can you use more words to explain what you need?" Needless to say this really pisses people off, because they tend to think it's me questioning their authority. In a hierarchical arena like a kitchen, a 'higher up' chef will expect me to just do what they ask, without uttering a word other than "Yes, Chef." Frankly, I suck at shutting my mouth and not asking for more detail - so the superior in question is left wondering, "Just who the hell does she think she is?"

I don't think this is a failing, even though other people might see it that way. I just see it as another example of how different people learn in different ways, and how we all perceive the universe differently. Basically what floats my boat, won't even get yours off the dry dock - and that's cool. I do wish someone could help me explain that to others though - exactly how do I get people to understand that I'm not questioning them personally, I just need more information? Comments and suggestions welcome.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I think I am very much the same way. I just forewarn with "I ask a lot of questions". Usually knowing all the details up front gets the job done much more effiecently (and helps to learn more aspects of surrounding projects, too) and as long as "they" see that result, hopefully they will not mind all the questions.
Now all I can picture is the show "Hell's Kitchen" and the guy freaking out... Good luck