I'm trying to keep my business, my triplets, and my waistline under control. I excel at one of those, fail at another one of those, and one is a work in progress. Which is which is day dependant.

Monday, April 7, 2008

She's Apples, Redux


I heard on the radio today that a new study has come out declaring apples a 'super food.' More antioxidants than a cup of tea, healthier for you than most other fruit, and so on. All the more reason to eat them, I think! I love baking with apples - and in Autumn there are so many varietes to choose from. Apples also go well with my most favourite spice - cinnamon. As an added bonus, in this recipe you can use apples which are past their crunch-by date. Originally called an Apple Cake, this recipe is not very cake-like at all. I prefer to under bake it slightly, so that the centre is still a bit runny and raw when you serve it while the edges are crunchy and crisp. It's less of a cake and more like a pudding or a...well.. .a splodge.


This recipe has been emzee'd to be idiot proof, time quick and easily doubled or even trebled to feed a crowd. You can also get a bit fancy with it, changing the fruit (using pears instead of apples) or adding some other things like sultanas, craisins, or maybe a flick or two of ground ginger. I'm presenting it in it's most virginal form and you can alter it to your liking. The cake part of the recipe is also pretty flexible ... I don't really bother measuring it out, but for your first time I would recommend it so you know what consistency you're meant to have.


You must - like all good appley things - enjoy this hot. For those who want a pareve (dairy free) version, serve as is with a sprinkle of sugar. For the calories-be-damned among us, serve with premium vanilla ice cream.


Apple Splodge

Serves 8-10


5-6 apples (Granny Smith works well but any tart apple will do)

Juice of one lemon

1 cup + 3 tsp sugar

1 T Cinnamon

1 Cup plain flour

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup vegetable oil (I've used olive oil and it's fine)

2 eggs


Preheat oven to 170C/350F. Grease (with cooking spray) an 8" round dish (like a Pyrex), at least 4 inches deep. Peel and slice apples and throw into the bottom - this is where you might add your dried fruit, if using. Throw the rest of the ingredients into a bowl and mix with a fork until combined. The 'dough' will be very stiff and it will look like you do not have enough. Trust me, you do have enough!


Plop the dough randomly over the apples. Slide into the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes or until puffy and golden. If you're using a clear dish (recommended) then you can easily see if the edges are cooked or not. If not, insert a skewer into the centre. If it comes out clean, you've overcooked it!


Serve with good vanilla ice cream ...and a nice glass of port, too.


Enjoy!

No comments: