I'm trying to keep my business, my triplets, and my waistline under control. I excel at one of those, fail at another one of those, and one is a work in progress. Which is which is day dependant.

Saturday, May 31, 2008

A cookie by any other name...


Quite often I'll be trolling the net looking for something non-cooking related when I'll come across a recipe which interests me. In the old days I'd just bookmark it...leaving me with a massive list of bookmarks which took up several columns of screen space. These days I use Google Reader and just star things which look good. Every once in a while, though, I'll come across something which looks good and if it's short, I'll scribble it on the back of a scrap of paper. Then, of course, I promptly forget about it, until I find it months later in the fire hazard office under a pile of other stuff. I'll put it aside, only to have it swallowed up by the black hole of my desk once again.

It's a rare recipe indeed which makes it out of this desk purgatory - most eventually get chucked in the recycling bin when I lose patience with the mess in here.

However, this recipe went from scrap of paper to baked in under 24 hours, largely because DH is out of town, the kids and I were bored, and what's not to like about a recipe which takes about 10 seconds flat to make? These cookies are not only delicious when baked, the raw dough is swoon-worthy, and it's easy for the kids to help, as witnessed by the above photo. (Note: I've not gone mental and eaten loads, even though they are amazingly delish. I've enjoyed a few, and then put them aside to give away to friends tomorrow.) I'm also re-printing it here as I copied it off the site, it's a very simple way to make and read a recipe.

The original recipe called these "solve everything cookies" or something equally cutesy - it was the cookies the author's Mom made when things were looking blue or they just needed a pick me up. Sure, stuff a broken heart with fat and calories! Get fatter, get less boys, and ergo start the process again. GREAT message, that...not! Since I'm all about reversing emotional eating, I'm renaming these "Why Not Cookies" because when I said to the kids, "Feel like making some cookies?" they all said, "Why not?" No emotional upheavals required.


WHY NOT COOKIES

Mix: 1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar
Add: 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla
Add: 2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt*
Mix: 2 cups rolled oats, 2 cups rice krispies, 2 cups chocolate chips**

Makes a stiff batter. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a lined baking sheet and bake 12-15 mins at 350C.

* I used a coarse salt, because I like that bit of saltiness on the back of my tongue when eating something sweet. If you don't, use ordinary table salt.
** I used about 1 1/2 cups because we didn't have any more. They weren't lacking for chocolate.

Enjoy!




2 comments:

Ellen said...

Those look yummy. I'm always on the lookout for a new cookie to try. Especially ones like this that are super easy for the kids to help with.

Anonymous said...

These look very similar to some delicious biscuits that were delivered to our house by that handsome young man in the photo! Thanks they were very yummy...Josh and Michaela