I'm trying to keep my business, my triplets, and my waistline under control. I excel at one of those, fail at another one of those, and one is a work in progress. Which is which is day dependant.

Friday, December 11, 2009

Hooray for Channukah!

One of the great injustices of my life is that I had the poor fortune of being born on Christmas Day. No two ways about it, December birthdays completely suck - but Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day suck even harder than the other 28 days. They're just totally crappy times to be celebrating a birthday. Aside from the potential birthday cake debacle, December birthdays are just terrible. All your friends are too busy to party, some of them are busy working out their religious choices, everyone just is stressed and not in the mood for yet another party and gift buying exercise. So I never get as much excitement out of my birthday as I possibly could or should... except that I always get the day off of work, and that's got to count for something, right?!

Now as I've mentioned before, I love and adore the holiday of Channukah. This year, to go with some of our brand-spankin'-new stuff, I've gone and bought some new decorations for the house. I went and cleared out the Aldi stock of chocolate coins, and I even managed to get my kids presents on time (Dear Borders, I'm glad I was able to help pay your rent this month. Happy Holidays, Love, Michelle). Tonight is the first night and for the next 8 nights I can light candles, eat chocolate, watch my kids open their pressies, and in general revel in this holiday. Plus it's an excuse to eat fried food!

So let's see.... kids, food, chocolate, candles, cheesy decorations. Yup! That's me sorted for the week! Birthday, Shmirthday. Who needs it?

Wishing all of you a happy, bright and no-guilt, calorie-laden holiday season!

4 comments:

Claire - Matching Pegs said...

Sadly, the older we get, the less birthdays are about us anyway. I'm not really talking about the age thing, but the mother thing.

I have always had to share my birthday, but this year in particular sucked. I spent it visiting my twin brother(so his birthday too) in St Vincents Psych unit. When I left the hospital and turned on my mobile, I got a call from school asking me to pick up my vomiting son. Nice.

I think you should have a gathering yearly (eg dinner out, or something else that you enjoy) on your half birthday.

I hope you have a wonderful time with your family for Channukah, cushioned in their love - I am guessing this year will be a bit tougher than previous ones.

emzeegee & the hungry three said...

Oh Claire! Not a great birthday for you at all! (hugs)

Last night (and all yesterday) were indeed extremely hard for me - and we'll see how the rest of the week goes. Sometimes it's just a day by day experience.

I've considered a half birthday option so many times, but then June rolls around and I always forget my half birthday resolutions!

This year my Mom will be here, and for me that's enough.

M

M.B. said...

My sister in law was born on 12/8, another on 12/22, and my father-in-law on 12/27. They echo your sentiments regarding December birthdays.

Gut Yontiff, my friend. :)

Christine said...

Happy Channukah! Sounds like you have a wonderful holiday planned. My 4-year-olds are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the big guy in the red suit and we are having a great time baking, decorating, and driving around looking at lights in the meantime. Have a wonderful week.