I'm trying to keep my business, my triplets, and my waistline under control. I excel at one of those, fail at another one of those, and one is a work in progress. Which is which is day dependant.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ignorance is Bliss

Since school is the topic of the day, I thought I would post a follow-up to my post about Being Revolutionary. I'm actually quite frustrated with the situation. A parent in the group - a parent who participated in the letter writing - apparently took it upon themselves to complain verbally to the principal about the meeting. The principal, in turn, approached a parent also in attendance at that meeting, and they had an informal discussion about what ensued. And that, my friends, was the end of that.

The letter never got sent (although I suggested it should.) Nobody stood up and said anything, no big revelation happened. It's all ... just... the same. Given that I am pro-revolution, I'm actually disappointed that things never actually got any further. Nobody is any happier about the issues there, and yet, whatever wave of action we were riding has hit the shore and ended up as foam.

So here's what I discovered. It's lonely being revolutionary. I could have taken that letter, and sent it myself, with only my name at the bottom. Except that I know that one person standing alone is going to have very little impact - especially since not all of the things listed there are things which have happened to me personally. So it would be difficult to send a letter of concern when only one or two of those items are of concern to me personally. I needed the support of the group (and felt we would be much more effective) to move this situation forward.

I am in a quandary here, as the parents who were unhappy then are still unhappy now. The situations outlined in our letter have not improved. Nothing, actually, has changed even one iota.

I want, and need, to be revolutionary. I'm just not sure entirely how to best go about it.

No comments: