I'm trying to keep my business, my triplets, and my waistline under control. I excel at one of those, fail at another one of those, and one is a work in progress. Which is which is day dependant.

Friday, February 23, 2007

How Quickly The Tide Turns

I need to get something off my chest.

Kindergarten (Prep) really, really sucks.

I want to go back to pre-school.

There, I've said it.

Disclaimer: Yes, I'm proud of them, yadda yadda, I know we can't go back, yadda yadda. Just listen to me bitch, okay?

I am feeling really overwhelmed by kindergarten. I realize that sounds ridiculous, so let me explain. The kids started school about 3 weeks ago and I am already feeling very snowed under with all the 'responsibility' which comes with formal schooling. Every day we have to check their communication folders - and then either do the homework there, read and action the jillion of announcements/requests that come home, and deal with other school related stuff (like finding x3 a show and tell for letter of the week). Then I need to remember (although the kids mostly do this) which days are sport uniform days and which are formal uniform days. Then one day a week they need to take library bags as well as normal ones. Then we need to practice their letters in 2 languages (English and Yiddish), then we need to make sure they have money (for whatever the cause of the week is), then I need to get uniforms pressed (etc) and make sure they have enough of the right colour socks....then I have to be there exactly at pick up time (previously pick up time was flexible - and while they CAN do aftercare, it's more dinero which I don't have). Anyway, you get the idea. School just seems to have so much more, well, STUFF to do, you know? It's really forcing this slacker Mom out of her comfort zone and into real, proper adulthood. *stamps feet* I DON' WANNA GROW UP!

The homework thing is making me crazy - it's nothing formal (this week was to cut and paste pictures of things starting with 'T') but times three it's a pain. I don't do it for them, but I do have to remind them, help them (like yesterday, I helped to cut and stuff), be involved with it all. I adore my kids but am feeling very overwhelmed by it all. I am also really worried about how to deal with their school vacation time (no such thing as summer camp here, and kids get 2 week vacations every 3 months or so). Where other parents need to get one kid organised, I've got to get three. The whole show and tell thing has become a PAIN in the ass! Will someone please explain to this teacher that doing it EVERY WEEK keeps it from being special? It's like saying "i love you" - do it too often and it begins to sound suspiciously like "go do more laundry." You hear it, but you don't HEAR it, you know?

I know, I know, I need a sharp cheddar with my w(h)ine. Pre-school was so much easier - pack a lunch, pick them up, that's it. *sigh* *complain* (I'm getting good at this, aren't I?)

If only I were not allergic to alcohol, I swear I'd be pouring a margarita every day at 3:45.

I know I'll get used to it, but in the meantime:

SKOOL SUX.

____

The only part of school which doesn't suck? DD getting "Student of the Week" for her "fantastic attitude to her work this week." This is a *BIG DEAL* for her, as it's the DD I refer to in this post.

1 comment:

Jenny Quld said...

Oh I can SOO empathize, 3 bags ,3 lots of homework , 3 lots of stinky uneaten food rotting at the bottom of school bags etc.
My current bug bear is different finishing times which can mean 3 or 4 trips to school each day!
“If only I were not allergic to alcohol, I swear I'd be pouring a margarita every day at 3:45.”
Oh my Goodness M. you need a similar substitute (wickedly rich chocolate something ?)
A 5pm cocktail/wine is my recovery from after school madness and gets me ready for dinner time madness.