I'm trying to keep my business, my triplets, and my waistline under control. I excel at one of those, fail at another one of those, and one is a work in progress. Which is which is day dependant.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

I Shall Wear Midnight*

Next week I'm turning 36. This means I'm on the other side of halfway in terms of getting to forty, and I know I said I wasn't going to use that expression any more...but..damn, I'm getting up there in years. I'm none too happy about this whole getting older thing, mostly because in my mind I'm still somewhere in my 20's. It can of course be argued that my 30's are WAY better than my 20's - if for nothing else than I've done heaps more living and experiencing, and I'm slimmer, fitter, smarter and cuter now (not to mention I can do WAY cooler stuff like blog and bake like a rock star)...but, still, I'm none too thrilled about it.

I can see the benefits of ageing (namely improving one's rock star skills), but...meh. Heading on to forty just seems so....forty, you know? Of course the irony here is that I have a number of friends who are forty and beyond and who totally rock that age. You know, the ones who wear kick-ass sparkly runners, the ones who spend more money on concert tickets in a month than I spend in a lifetime, the ones running marathons, the ones who own several pairs of Docs (with lots of eyelets) and so on. So it's not like 40 is the new dead or anything...it's just that I've still got that ridiculous teenage notion that anyone above, say, 30, is pretty much ancient. It's a bullshit notion, but then I never claimed to be clever all the time, did I?

Anyway so now that I'm on 'this side' of my thirties, I'm thinking I need to do something to somehow stop the ravages of time. I've decided that on my 2012 'to do' list, I'm going to put in a bunch of ridiculous (mostly physical) things which I never achieved in my childhood or young adulthood that I'd like to learn how to do now. I've got the added bonus of being more physically able, having my back in good condition (for now...ask me again once I've done this list) and also wanting to push myself physically a bit this year (because I clearly have nothing else to fill my time).

So far my list includes learning how to:

  • Hula Hoop
  • Inline skate
  • Roller skate
  • Ice skate
  • Ride a scooter
 I've rejected learning how to:
  • do a cartwheel (small matter of boobs, and inability to go upside-down)
  • go across monkey bars (too tall now)
  • ride a unicycle (yeah. no.)
  • wear a boob tube (I'm laughing as I type this. NOBODY over an A cup should attempt this at any time.)
  • Do a flip on a trampoline (no trampoline, ours died.)
  • Instigate a first date kiss or ask a boy out (I'm pretty sure DH might have something to say about that.)

So while I still have no word of the year (but I'm getting closer), I do have a bunch of ridiculous silly things I'd like to do to prove to myself that age is a number and NOT a state of mind or a barrier to silliness.

Suggestions welcome.



*Five bucks to anyone who can work out the reference.

4 comments:

Claire - Matching Pegs said...

*
That would be written by Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE.

It is about what Tiffany Aching will wear when she is old. Sadly, I have not yet read "I Shall Wear Midnight" but I have read the other Tiffany Aching novels.

I must borrow them from the library for Amelia.

I'm currently waiting for my sister to finish "Snuff" which she got for her birthday, so that she can lend it to me.

(Five Bucks thanks)

Poppet's mum said...

Reference is to a book by the same name. Don't want your money but do want to go either roller, inline or ice skating with you - just let me know when xoxo

adele said...

"When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple"?

emzeegee & the hungry three said...

Five bucks to Claire, it's the title of a Pratchett book (we own the entire series, most of it signed. :) )

Next time we meet up (IN JAN!!) coffee is on me. :)

M