I'm trying to keep my business, my triplets, and my waistline under control. I excel at one of those, fail at another one of those, and one is a work in progress. Which is which is day dependant.

Saturday, June 3, 2006

Telly Time

In our household we limit the amount of TV our kids watch. We do this for several reasons, all valid (well, we think so). Last weekend I read an article in the 'Good Weekend' magazine about some families in Melbourne who have thrown their televisions out the window entirely (no, not literally.) These families found that getting rid of their televisions was far easier than they thought it would be. Their children were far more self-entertaining than previously thought, able to come up with games or activities to keep them from uttering the usual "I'm booooorreeedddd." Another article from The Age was interesting, about the backlash of parents against television programs for babies. The interesting thing I've found is that the people who find our TV limits strange are often also parents themselves. Several times I've had comments from other parents (of children the same age as the trio) who find our TV policy somehow 'wierd' or 'different.' The fact is, I don't really care what happens in your house. Keep the TV, or several TV's, on in your house all day if you like. Just don't judge me because I choose not to do the same. I don't think television for children is the devil incarnate (see my below favourite things, which include two kids' cartoons). I don't think children will overnight become obese from watching television, and I don't think they all get ideas about suicide and harming others purely from television. We mostly limit it because we think it's important that our kids spend their free time, well, being free and not chained to a couch. Playing outside, colouring in, reading books, helping to cook dinner or set the table...you get the idea. Soon enough they will be in school and their afternoons and evenings will be spent doing homework. Now, while they are still relatively carefree, I want their time spent doing carefree things! I don't think time in front of the TV is wasted time, I just think there are better, more interesting, fun, active things our children can be doing. Childhood, it seems, is getting shorter and shorter as the generations go by .... which is perhaps a post for another day. In the meantime though, I find it heartening to read that we are not the only 'wierd' ones out there whose TV is not the centre of our household.

No comments: