I'm trying to keep my business, my triplets, and my waistline under control. I excel at one of those, fail at another one of those, and one is a work in progress. Which is which is day dependant.

Sunday, July 2, 2006

Fate is a fabulous thing

Religiously speaking, my beliefs are a little all over the place. I'm not entirely sure if I believe in god or not, I don't know if aliens are out there, I can't explain crop circles or Stonehenge and I don't know if I believe in fate. At the same time, so many wierd 'coincidences' happen in my life (and the lives of others) that it's a bit hard NOT to believe in fate, the predestination of things happening for some higher reason. Like the guy in the cartoon stepping away *just* as the piano falls from the 45th floor, or people not getting on THAT flight, or runaway brides, or...any path taken which at first seems somehow not right. Fate or not, I think that things - both good and bad - happen for reasons which in the moment are not entirely easily explained. Take, for example, the trio. Circumstance (and a total lack of fertility) dictated that we had to go the IVF route to conceive them. At the time - it was a tragedy, a travesty, and other t---y words. It was, at the time, the worst thing in the world. Luckily for us, it ended well, with trio in tow. In retrospect, it was the BEST thing in the world. Not only did it give us the trio, but it meant we had our children early in our relationship, leaving DH & I free to roam the universe while he and I are both relatively spritely. Had we not had the experience of IVF, we might not have had children, might only have had a singleton, or might have been decidedly old and grey before having them - leaving DH not as capable of running around with them, or me not able to pursue my sweet career. See what I mean? IVF = totally sucky, but really IVF = totally lucky.

Is this making sense? Something awful happens, and it totally, totally sucks, but hindsight (being 20/20 and all) shows you that it was worth that horrible thing happening because of the person you will become or the lessons it's taught or the opportunites you will get as a result. So like my dream job thing ending - you know, fact is it really, really, really sucks. However - and here's that hindsight - I think it's taught me a lot, and also thrown up other opportunities. At the end of the day it's NOT the end of the world, even if in the moment it kinda felt like it was. This rule applies to the big stuff as well as the little stuff - only it's much harder for the big stuff. Anyway here's my 5 cents worth of advice: Next time something totally shitty happens in your life, take a moment to think to yourself: ya know, in a few days or weeks or months, I'm going to realise that this doesn't suck so bad. emzee said so, so it must be true.

No comments: