I'm trying to keep my business, my triplets, and my waistline under control. I excel at one of those, fail at another one of those, and one is a work in progress. Which is which is day dependant.

Friday, December 3, 2010

It's Not The Hair

In the last couple of weeks, I've had to cancel two hair cut appointments due to either family scheduling muck-ups or major cake muck-ups. This now makes me something like 10 or so weeks since my last hair cut, which means I am rocking the salt-and-pepper look (hey thanks Mom for those genes..). Not only is my hair showing some serious grey hair action, it's also all out of shape and much longer than usual. Plus my ridiculously cool blue streaks faded weeks ago so now I am somewhat lion-ish in appearance with random blond bits.

It looks really bad.

And yet, in the last 2-3 weeks, I've had no less than SIX people tell me they love my new hairstyle, they want to know where I got it done, they want to tell me that it really suits me, and in general it's all been OMG you have the most awesome hair we have ever seen!

People, people, people! What you are noticing is NOT my hairstyle, it's that my ass has shrunk significantly, but you either a) are blind and can't work out what is different about me, so you think it must be the hair, or b) you're not sure how to be polite and say, "your fat ass is smaller than it used to be," so you're focussing on the hair in your version of trying to be complimentary without making possibly offensive reference to my formerly massive ass.

Either way, let me just assure you that it ISN'T about the hair (and if it IS, how shit did I look before, if you're all complimenting the 10-week-old look?!)

3 comments:

kazari said...

People are daft.
My dad shaved off his beard after having a furry face for 30 years.

For months he got people saying "Wow, you grew a moustache!"

Cameron said...

As a dumb guy I can perhaps shed some light on why people say 'I like what you've done with your hair.'

Sometimes if we think someone is looking good these days and want to give a compliment, but we cannot put our finger on exactly what is different, or perhaps we don't want to say something potentially boneheaded (because like it or not, complimenting women can be laden with minefields) we've found that the best approach is to say something like:

You look nice, have you done something with your hair?

Because women are usually doing things with their hair, and even if not, it's generally taken as a compliment. So next time someone compliments you on your hair, just substitute it in your mind with whatever you've been working on improving the hardest. :)

emzeegee & the hungry three said...

Kazari - My point exactly. It's amazing what escapes people's notice.

Cameron - Point taken, friend. And I love that "women are usually doing things with their hair"... LOL.

M