I'm trying to keep my business, my triplets, and my waistline under control. I excel at one of those, fail at another one of those, and one is a work in progress. Which is which is day dependant.

Friday, July 14, 2006

RAS Recipe of the Week

I think it's been more than a week since posting a RAS recipe, but forgive me, will you? Here is this week's recipe for super moreish macaroons (and generally I hate macaroons, but these have none of that horrid coconut so it's okay!). This can be made into Passover cookies by substituting the plain flour for super fine matza flour. I know it uses a food processor again, but you already dusted it off last week, so why not keep the trend going? (Confession: I whizz the almonds in a mini chopper.) These are so good you might consider not sharing them - but the whole point of RAS is sharing, so double the quantities so you can indulge and make the world a better place.

Almond Macaroons To Die For

1/2 lb (about 2 cups) lightly toasted almonds
1/4 cup plain flour
3 eggs whites (at room temp)
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
Dash of salt

Note: To toast almonds, spread on a baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes in a 180/350 oven until lightly browned.

Preheat oven to 325/160. Process the almonds until they resemble a coarse meal. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Beat in sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Gently fold in the ground almonds. Drop by tablespoons onto a bake paper lined cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are golden. Remove from the sheet carefully as the macaroons will be soft but will firm upon cooling. Store in an airtight container (but put some paper between so they don't stick to one another, these are quite soft macaroons.)

1 comment:

Stephie Says..... said...

Thanks for posting the great recipe...I love macs but dislike coconut so this is a differnt spin on the treat..Also thanks for the conversion.........