I'm trying to keep my business, my triplets, and my waistline under control. I excel at one of those, fail at another one of those, and one is a work in progress. Which is which is day dependant.

Monday, August 28, 2006

I (finally) got a roundtoit

So it's Monday morning. DH is in the land even further Down Under than this one (New Zealand), the kids are at kinder, I have done about 8 loads of washing in the last 24 hours, and I am not working today. Correction. I AM working today - I've decided it's time for a Spring Fling. I'm flinging all the clutter we seem to have acquired in the last 5 years of living here. Stuff just seems to breed other stuff. Part of the problem is that DH is a major paper hoarder. If I didn't know better I'd say he was paid by the paper manufacturing people to USE UP loads of paper, just to keep them in business. The second problem - or source of clutter - is the kids, who have an affinity for teeny tiny, itty bitty pieces of crap. Crap which they they strew all over the house. For example, this morning when I cleaned out my bedside table, I found:

  • One gold Xmas ball (ummm, we're Jewish - where did that come from?)
  • One felt mermaid
  • Two of those stuffed elephants you get in India. These were moth eaten and in a serious state of disrepair, but usually I think you can buy them on a string. Never seen them before in my life.
  • 2 markers (both not working)
  • 1 skinny and kinda slimy-looking pink ribbon
  • Some rolled up string
  • A Mr Men book
  • A sparkly green bracelet with fake jewels on it
  • A pink and silver plastic ring, and the pink had mostly worn off
  • Other stuff belonging to ME, which actually was meant to be in there
Here is the thing. This is MY bedside table, people. Not THEIRS. Their random crap should not be in there. SHOULD NOT. Why is it in there? Because these kids have, as previously mentioned, lots of teeny tiny, itty bitty pieces of crap which they strew all over the house. So in addition to a paper-producing DH, and kids strewing crap around, I also am in lack of what my MIL calls a "roundtoit." Which is the thing everyone needs to get rid of clutter - "as soon as I get around to it, I'll clean it up." So I GOT A ROUNDTOIT. Thus far I have de-cluttered the bathroom and our bedroom. Next is the downstairs bit of the dining area, the scary space under the stairs, and the kitchen, including the kids drawing area. After that it's the loungeroom, laundry, and then finally I am going upstairs - perhaps the scariest place of all. I am, however, leaving the office as it is and I am just going to torch it instead. I think that's the easiest way to clean up that hell hole.

Only thing keeping me motivated? I keep thinking about DD1 doing this:


....and I think if she can face that, I can face the clutter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Presumably you let her go on the trapeze so you could chat up the cute boys with their shirts off?

Clutter is the "missing matter" which explains the nature of the universe...

JW